Mark grew up in neighbouring Herefordshire - and has lived in Shropshire for the last 20 years. He is married to Tamuna and has one daughter and one step-daughter.
He was first elected as Member of Parliament for The Wrekin in 2005. He is currently serving his fifth term as an MP - enjoying the largest parliamentary majority in the 100 year history of The Wrekin seat. He is also the longest serving MP for The Wrekin in its history - under any boundary configuration.
After leaving school, Mark studied theology. He then gained two Master's degrees in International Diplomacy, Marketing & Management, and a post-graduate Diploma in Marketing (Chartered Institute of Marketing) and a Diploma in Public Relations from the (Institute of Public Relations).
Before entering Parliament in 2005, Mark ran a successful marketing business - advising a range of blue-chip clients and international businesses. He continues to run his own business, which he says "keeps me rooted in the real world - not just in the Westminster bubble"
Mark's hobbies include tennis, writing on economic and foreign policy issues, and comedy. A keen footballer, Mark played "one match" for Hereford United Reserves - and still plays for the Parliamentary football team.
Parliamentary Committees and Groups
- 2005 - 2010: Appointed by the Foreign Secretary to represent the United Kingdom on the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
- 2010 - 2015: Appointed by the Prime Minister to the United Kingdom's Joint National Security Strategy Committee (JNSSC)
- 2015 - 2017: Appointed by the Prime Minister to serve on the Joint Human Rights Committee.
- 2005 - 2011: Served on Department for International Development, Environmental Audit, Department of Work & Pensions, Wales, and Transport Select Committees.
- 2012 - present: Appointed to serve on the Chairman's Panel of the House of Commons, which chairs and oversees Parliamentary Debates
- 2013-2015 - Member of the UK's delegation to the Council of Europe (PACE).
- 2016-2018 - Prime Minister's Trade & Investment Envoy to Armenia and Georgia
- 2017-2020 - Leader of UK delegation to OSCE PA
- 2018-2020 - OSCE PA Special Envoy to South East Europe
- 2020-2022 - Member of Intelligence and Security Committee
- Mark has served on eight select committees during his time in Parliament.